If you have been paying attention to my social feed at all you may have noticed an insane amount of Tim Keller quotes. There is a reason for this, aside from the fact that Keller is brilliant. I am currently in a church planting class in Seminary and Keller’s books “Center Church” and “The Reason for God” are key resources. These books are gospel saturated and leaves the reader longing for the gospel not just for themselves but for the gospel to transform the communities that they live in.
One particular section covers Gospel Renewal. Keller is immensely helpful when it comes to unpacking what biblical revival looks like, and points us to Gospel Renewal as the catalyst for Biblical Revival. Most importantly, Keller points out that revival is not something that we can cause, rather it is something that God does. The following are 6 quotes that encouraged me, and I pray also encourage you.
- “Revivals and renewals are necessary because the default mode of the human heart is works-righteousness”
- “Because we don’t really believe the gospel deep down – because we are living as if we save our selves – our hearts find ways of either rejecting or reengineering the doctrine (as in liberal theology)”
- “All revivals are seasons in which the ordinary operations of the Holy Spirit are intensified many-fold”
- “You must let the gospel argue with you. You must let the gospel sink down deeply until it changes your views and the structures of your motivation. You must be trained and discipled by the gospel. The gospel, if it is truly believed, helps us out of the extreme neediness that is natural to the human heart.”
- “Holiness affects both the private and civic lives of Christians”
- “Ultimately, we can only prepare for revival; we can’t really bring it about. God must send it.”
What are your favorite quotes that relate to renewal, revival, and the Gospel?
“Personal gospel renewal means the gospel doctrines of sin and grace are actually experienced, not just known intellectually”